The Institute of Community Health and Allied Medical Sciences (ICHAMS) was created by virtue of Board Resolution No. 2003 – 134 on November 25, 2003 that offers Diploma in Midwifery and Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Bachelor of Science in Midwifery. The institute is devoted to produce graduates who are competent, committed caring and with confidence.
ICHAMS has a full adherence to the noble vision, mission of the university in Instruction, Research and Extension. It has been consistently hitting the mark of excellent performance in the Nursing Licensure Examination and consistently producing topnotchers in the Midwifery Licensure Examination given by the Professional Regulation Commission.
The institute has also a passion in Research for sending faculty members and students in different international and local Research fora as presenters. The Research unit of the institute is also an established research Cell of the Philippine Nursing Research Society Inc.
ICHAMS has strong linkages making relevant Extension activities utilizing the Community Participatory Action Research concept advocating health and community development in the different towns of La Union. The institute is likewise an active partner of Philippine National Red Cross – La Union Chapter and Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council – La Union Chapter. It proudly maintains a strong collaboration with international nurse leaders through the Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, an internationally recognized Learned Society in the Nursing profession.
ICHAMS vow to uphold with the core values of Integrity, Commitment, Hardwork, Academic Excellence, Motivation and Service because we care to teach and we teach to care.
- To provide quality graduates in the allied medical fields.
- To provide effective community health care services.
- To offer courses relevant to the health needs and situation of the times.
- To offer academic program in the primary and advanced health services.
- To produce midwives who are responsive to the needs of the individual, family and community.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN MIDWIFERY / DIPLOMA IN MIDWIFERY
- Articulate and discuss the latest developments in the specific field of practice.
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing using both English and Filipino.
- Work effectively and interdependently in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Act in recognition of professional, social and ethical responsibility.
- Preserve and promote “Filipino historical and cultural heritage” (based on R A 7722).
- Apply basic and advanced professional midwifery practice in the care of the girl-child, adolescent, and the woman prior to, during, and after pregnancy.
- Provide primary health care services.
- Demonstrate gender sensitivity in dealing with clients.
- Maintain complete, accurate and timely documentation of client care with the aid of information and communication technology.
- Communicate effectively with clients using appropriate language.
- Work with the Community Health Team in organizing, mobilizing the community towards health and human development.
- Practice Midwifery in accordance with standards of practice, existing laws and legislations, ethics and moral principles.
- Manage Maternal and Child Health clinics at the community level.
- Engage in independent, entrepreneurial health care activities.
- Perform collaborative health related functions, within the scope of practice.
- Engage in professional growth and development activities for lifelong learning.
- Initiate collaborative and independent research activities.
- Participate in developing midwifery educational programs.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN NURSING
- Apply knowledge of physical, social, natural and health sciences and humanities in the practice of nursing.
- Provide safe, appropriate and holistic care to individuals, families, population group and community utilizing nursing process.
- Apply guidelines and principles of evidence-based practice in the delivery of care.
- Practice nursing in accordance with existing laws, legal, ethical and moral principles.
- Communicate effectively in speaking, writing and presenting using culturally appropriate language.
- Document to include reporting up-to-date client care accurately and comprehensively.
- Work effectively in collaboration with inter-, intra- and multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Practice beginning management and leadership skills in the delivery of client care using a systems approach.
- Conduct research with an experienced researcher.
- Engage in lifelong learning with a passion to keep current with national and global developments in general, and nursing and health developments in particular.
- Demonstrate responsible citizenship and pride of being a Filipino.
- Design and apply techno intelligent care systems and processes in healthcare delivery.
- Adapt the nursing core values in the delivery of nursing care.
UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAMS OFFERED
- Bachelor of Science in Midwifery
- Diploma in Midwifery
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University
South La Union Campus
Institute of Community Health and Allied Medical Sciences
Consolacion, Agoo, La Union
Tel. Nos.: (072) 682-0663